The Race That Stops the Nation: Melbourne Cup Day at Flemington
The wait is over! Melbourne Cup Day, the pinnacle of the Australian spring racing carnival, is upon us.
The iconic Flemington Racecourse will transform into a sea of color, excitement, and anticipation as the nation’s finest (and internationals) thoroughbreds compete for glory in the world-renowned Melbourne Cup.
Stay tuned as we delve into each race of the day, providing you with our expert tips and value bets to guide your selections.
The weather looks fine, and the track will play in the good 4.
Darley Maribyrnong Plate – Group 3 Set Weights. 2YO. $200k.
Tough little race to kick off the meeting with many of the runners unknown.
#4 BLUE STRATUM looks to have plenty of ability at the trials.
Should be extremely hard to beat.
Our value play for the race is #3 ALAA PLENTY
Could improve drastically from the first up run.
Furphy Plate – Listed Handicap. $175k.
Not a race we are overly keen to jump into with so many winning chances.
#3 SIBAAQ could go on with it after racing really consistantly.
A cheeky roughie that could bob up is #5 WARNING
TAB Trophy – Listed Set Weights & Penalties. 3YO. $175k.
#10 QUEEN OF DRAGONS
Looks to be the one after getting no luck last time out.
This step up in distance should suit and we’re getting a nice price.
The value play will be #5 BIG SWAN
Interesting placement after a nice win at Swan Hill.
The Schweppervescence Plate – Open Set Weights & Penalties. 3YO. $150k.
Clear top pick and looks extremely hard to beat.
#5 WIGGUM could bob up as the value play.
TAB Wakeful Stakes – Group 2 Set Weights & Penalties. 3YO. Fillies. $300k.
#3 MR WATERVILLE
Can make the jump here today with the drop back in grade.
Magic man on.
#1 THIRD REALM is an interesting runner.
Keen to have a few dollars on each way.
Benchmark 90 Handicap. $150k.
Can run a race here with the light weight.
Will be having a small saver on #3 PRINCE JOFRA
Race 7 (Melbourne Cup)
Lexus Melbourne Cup – Group 1 Handicap. 3YO+. $7m.
Gee it’s tough when we are not getting a nice price about a few runners.
#5 VAUBAN is the clear top pick and could very well blow this field away.
#3 WITHOUT A FIGHT can run a massive race and is a massive danger if the fave doesn’t run well.
Will be having a bet also as a saver.
If the predicted rain comes early and has any effect on the track then GOLD TRIP can come back into calculations.
FUTURE HISTORY and INTERPRETATION are well over the odds and are the pick of the roughies.
Will be having something small on.
Howden Desirable Stakes – Listed Set Weights & Penalties. 3YO. Fillies. $175k.
Looks the strongest in the field.
Happy to back this filly.
The value play is #10 JOLIESTAR
The Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes – Group 3 Set Weights & Penalties. 4YO+. Mares. $200k.
#15 CALL DI Racing really well in Sydney. Had one look here in Melbourne at Caulfield. Should be aimed at this and ready to peak.
#1 MADAME POMMERY is the clear value play.
#16 CHORLTON LANE
Hopefully can get the chocolates to end the day.
Lightly raced and could show some big improvement.
#17 TONNEOFGRIT is the value saver.
Big race set here first up.
Race 7 #5 VAUBAN
Race 4 #1 BARBER
Best Each Way
Race 5 #1 THIRD REALM
How To Bet On Melbourne Cup Day
One of the most popular betting events on the calendar. There are many different ways to bet on Melbourne Cup Day, and the best way for you will depend on your budget, risk tolerance, and knowledge of the race.
Here is a brief overview of some of the most popular Derby Day betting options:
- Win: A win bet is a bet on a horse to finish first. This is the simplest type of bet, and it is also the most popular.
- Place: A place bet is a bet on a horse to finish first, second, or third. This type of bet offers lower odds than a win bet, but it is also more likely to win.
- Show: A show bet is a bet on a horse to finish first, second, third, or fourth. This type of bet offers the lowest odds of the three, but it is also the most likely to win.
- Trifecta: A trifecta bet is a bet on the first three horses in the correct order. This type of bet is more difficult to win, but it also offers higher odds.
- Quadrella: A quadrella bet is a bet on the first four horses in the correct order. This type of bet is even more difficult to win than a trifecta, but it also offers even higher odds.
If you are new to betting on horse racing, it is important to start with simple bets like win and place bets. Once you have a better understanding of the sport, you can start to experiment with more exotic bets like trifectas and quadrellas.
Here are some tips for betting on the Cup:
- Do your research. Before you place any bets, be sure to research the horses and the race. Read form guides, watch replays of previous races, and get expert advice.
- Set a budget. It is important to set a budget before you start betting. Decide how much money you are willing to risk, and stick to your budget.
- Bet responsibly. Remember that gambling is a form of entertainment, and it should be treated as such. Never bet more money than you can afford to lose.
Have fun on Cup Day, and good luck with your bets!