Derby Day at Flemington is here, and the spring carnival is finally kicking off at headquarters.
Some of the best horses in Australia will battle it out for the famous Victoria Derby, a 2500m race for three-year-olds worth $2 million.
The Victoria Derby is a notoriously difficult race to win, with a field of quality horses and a variety of factors that can come into play, such as the track conditions, the weather, and the draw.
However, there are a few horses that stand out as the ones to beat this year (tips below).
We will go through each race for the day and give you our best bets & value tips.
The weather looks fine, and the track will play in the good 4.
Network 10 Carbine Club Stakes – Group 3 Set Weights & Penalties. 3YO. $500k.
#1 BRAVE MEAD
What a beauty Brave Mead is for the Maher Eustace stable.
Should be able to continue on his winning ways here.
Much tougher than last start but he is progressing nicely.
Lexus Archer Stakes – Group 3 Handicap. $300k.
Should be winning but not a race we’re overly keen to jump into.
Furphy Sprint – Group 3 Set Weights & Penalties. 4YO+. Mares. $200k.
#6 ROSE QUARTZ
Racing really well of late.
Shinn hops on board which is a massive plus.
Has the most upside 3rd up.
Racing and Sports Rising Fast Stakes – Group 3 Handicap. $200k.
#12 GARZA BLANCA & #8 GENERAL BEAU
A couple at odds here that can bob up.
They both have some really nice ratings.
Backing both each way.
Triple Missile the obvious danger
TAB Wakeful Stakes – Group 2 Set Weights & Penalties. 3YO. Fillies. $300k.
Extremely wide-open race.
Hard to find a standout here.
Believe the winner will be out of 1, 3, 4, 5
Maybe #5 each way for some value?
Most likely will pass but will assess the track on the day.
Coolmore Stud Stakes – Group 1 Set Weights. 3YO. $2m.
Should be firing on all of them today.
Will save on #1 SHINZO who does love the straight.
Race 7 (Victoria Derby)
Penfolds Victoria Derby – Group 1 Set Weights. 3YO. $2m.
#4 RIFF ROCKET
Hard to ignore his recent outings.
Should prove mighty hard to beat.
Won’t be launching into him though,
Derby’s have a funny way of producing a roughie.
Wouldnt be surprised to see #8 GATES in the mix.
TAB Empire Rose Stakes – Group 1 Weight For Age. 3YO+. Fillies and Mares. $1m.
#1 ALCOHOL FREE & #2 PRINCESS GRACE
They hold the best ratings and form lines.
The Damien Oliver – Group 2 Handicap. $500k.
#13 SWORDS DRAWN
Cheeky little swing for the fences in the get-out.
Very interesting placement here for the 8yo.
Such a wide-open race.
Race 6 #2 CYLINDER
Race 3 #6 ROSE QUARTZ
Best Each Way
Race 4 #12 GARZA BLANCA & #8 GENERAL BEAU
How To Bet On Derby Day
One of the most popular betting events on the calendar. There are many different ways to bet on Derby Day, and the best way for you will depend on your budget, risk tolerance, and knowledge of the race.
Here is a brief overview of some of the most popular Derby Day betting options:
- Win: A win bet is a bet on a horse to finish first. This is the simplest type of bet, and it is also the most popular.
- Place: A place bet is a bet on a horse to finish first, second, or third. This type of bet offers lower odds than a win bet, but it is also more likely to win.
- Show: A show bet is a bet on a horse to finish first, second, third, or fourth. This type of bet offers the lowest odds of the three, but it is also the most likely to win.
- Trifecta: A trifecta bet is a bet on the first three horses in the correct order. This type of bet is more difficult to win, but it also offers higher odds.
- Quadrella: A quadrella bet is a bet on the first four horses in the correct order. This type of bet is even more difficult to win than a trifecta, but it also offers even higher odds.
If you are new to betting on horse racing, it is important to start with simple bets like win and place bets. Once you have a better understanding of the sport, you can start to experiment with more exotic bets like trifectas and quadrellas.
Here are some tips for betting on the Derby:
- Do your research. Before you place any bets, be sure to research the horses and the race. Read form guides, watch replays of previous races, and get expert advice.
- Set a budget. It is important to set a budget before you start betting. Decide how much money you are willing to risk, and stick to your budget.
- Bet responsibly. Remember that gambling is a form of entertainment, and it should be treated as such. Never bet more money than you can afford to lose.
Have fun on Derby Day, and good luck with your bets!